Dr. S. Donald Stookey, pictured in 1950. Inventing CorningWare was an accident. Credit Corning, via Associated Press

His son Bob confirmed his death.

Dr. Stookey invented synthetic glass ceramics, the highly versatile range of materials that continue to be refined for new uses, including glass stovetops. He also developed photosensitive glass and glass used in eyeglasses that darken in response to light.

He was credited with creating thousands of jobs, limiting squinting and averting countless broken dishes. In 1986, he received the National Medal of Technology.

In May 1957, Corning announced that it had trademarked Pyroceram, a ceramic made from glass that could withstand temperatures up to 1,300 degrees. The company displayed a cone it had developed for a guided missile, saying the material was harder than carbon steel and would allow radar signals to pass through it. But missiles were only part of its plan for Pyroceram.

A 1957 article in The New York Times reported that the material was “expected to be used in combustion-type electric turbines, guided missiles, jet engines of airplanes that fly at supersonic speeds, oil refining, chemical processing and home cookware.”

Dr. Stookey, then the head of what Corning called its fundamental research department, was present for the announcement. Not long afterward, marketing teams from Corning tested prototypes of CorningWare with consumers, particularly women.

They fried pork chops in one of the new dishes on a stovetop, then put the dish into the oven. Then they put an ice cube on the heated dish to show how it could handle extreme changes in temperature. By 1958, CorningWare  was being sold in stores.

Dr. Stookey had not planned to invent it. Experimenting at Corning one day in 1953, he put photosensitive glass into a furnace, intending to heat it to 600 degrees.

“When I came back, the temperature gauge was stuck on 900 degrees, and I thought I had ruined the furnace,” he said in an interview several years ago. “When I opened the door to the furnace, I saw the glass was intact and had turned a milky white. I grabbed some tongs to get it out as fast as I could, but the glass slipped out of the tongs and fell to the floor. The thing bounced and didn’t break. It sounded like steel hitting the floor.“

Stanley Donald Stookey was born on May 23, 1915, in Hay Springs, Neb. His family moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, when he was a boy. He received a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and math in 1936 from Coe College in Cedar Rapids before earning a master’s degree from Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. He received his doctorate in physical chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1940 and joined Corning the same year. He retired from the company in 1987.

In addition to his son Bob, his survivors include another son, Donald; six grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren . His wife of more than 50 years, the former Ruth Watterson, died in 1994. A daughter, Margaret Zak, died in 1988.

Dr. Stookey, who held about 60 patents, was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2010. In 2000 he published his autobiography, “Explorations in Glass.“

Bob Stookey said his father received two job offers after finishing his doctorate.

“One was from the Nabisco baking company and one was from a glass company he’d never heard of in upstate New York,” he said in an interview on Friday. “He knew he didn’t want to bake bread, so he went to Corning.”




Clement A. Price in Newark in 2006. He wrote books on the African-American experience. Credit Richard Perry/The New York Times

The cause was a stroke on Nov. 2, Patricia Faison, a friend, said.

Professor Price this year was named Newark city historian and chairman of the committee organizing the city’s 350th-anniversary celebration, scheduled for 2016. He wrote books on the African-American experience in New Jersey and founded and led the Rutgers Institute on Ethnicity, Culture and the Modern Experience at Rutgers’s Newark campus, where he taught.

He narrated a 2006 documentary, “The Once and Future Newark,” which was shown on public television, praised by critics and given several awards.

President Obama appointed Professor Price to lead his 2008 transition team for the National Endowment for the Humanities and to be vice chairman of the President’s Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.

But Professor Price’s focus on Newark remained, and his attachment to the city ran deep. “Pick a fight with Newark, my dukes go up,” he said in an interview with Esquire magazine in 2008. When Money magazine in 1996 named Newark the least safe of 202 American cities, he dismissed it as suburban bias. Rutgers Focus, a university publication, called him “a one-man booster organization for Newark.”

After his death, The Star-Ledger said he was “a lens to Newark’s past and its present.” Professor Price, however, suggested, that the city was best viewed through “more than one lens” in a 2006 essay, which praised Mayor Sharpe James after he dropped out of a campaign for a sixth term because he was facing corruption charges.

Professor Price likened Mr. James to old-time, backslapping Irish politicians, praising him for giving hope to Newark, a predominantly black city of 280,000, along with redevelopment projects. “Newark should thank Sharpe James for fighting for the city when so many would-be fighters had hung up their gloves,” he wrote.

Professor Price was less kind to Mr. James’s successor, Cory A. Booker. “You can be a rock star or you can be mayor,” he said of him. “You can’t be both.”

But when Mr. Booker left Newark to represent New Jersey in the United States Senate, Professor Price admitted that Newark had risen. “For the first time in its contemporary history, the choices for Newark are to be great or greater,” he said.

The black experience was Professor Price’s forte. In his book “Freedom Not Far Distant: A Documentary History of Afro-Americans in New Jersey” (1980), he wrote that as early as 1694, the colony was prohibiting blacks from carrying guns and was setting fines for harboring runaway slaves. He noted that New Jersey was the last Northern state to ban slavery.

He rejected the canard that Newark deteriorated only after the riots of 1967. “It was actually the last gasp of decline, a decline that began after World War II,” he told The Star-Ledger in 2002.

“I was told when I came here, the blacks destroyed the city,” he said in the Esquire interview. “Part of me said, ‘I didn’t know we were that efficient.’ ”

Professor Price recalled that black nationalists in the 1960s called Newark “New-Ark,” as if it were a boat to a better world. When a historic skyscraper, the National Newark Building, was restored at a cost of $55 million in 2000, he said that during its long decline the city “almost forgot what it looked like.” When the Prudential Center, an arena in central Newark, opened in 2007, he said it would help New Jersey get over “its longstanding fear and loathing of Newark.”

For all his historical knowledge, Professor Price cautioned against wallowing in memories, even memories of the long-gone Newark that Philip Roth has described in many of his books. He blamed all the people who left Newark with fixed ideas about the city and never returned.

“There’s a bittersweet sensibility about Newark because of that,” he told The New York Times in 2000. “It’s the most sentimentalized city I’ve ever seen.”

Clement Alexander Price, the son of a television repairman, was born on Oct. 13, 1945, in Washington, where he grew up. After earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Bridgeport, he entered Rutgers-Newark shortly after the 1967 riots. He earned a Ph.D. there, and the Rutgers board of governors later named him a distinguished service professor, one of the university’s highest honors. He helped start a series of lectures by noted black scholars and in 2010 personally bequeathed $100,000 to endow it.

His most recent project was joining the historians Spencer R. Crew and Lonnie G. Bunch III to edit “Slave Culture: A Documentary Collection of the Slave Narratives From the Federal Writers’ Project” (2014), a collection of reminiscences by the last generation of enslaved Americans.

Professor Price is survived by his wife, the former Mary Sue Sweeney, the retired director of the Newark Museum. Years ago, they moved into a historic brownstone on Lincoln Park hoping the bedraggled area would gentrify. A nearby church where Lincoln spoke was a stop on Professor Price’s bus tours, as was the spot where the 1967 riots began.

In an interview with The Star-Ledger in 2000, Professor Price said, “Over the years the discourse on the park has run from ‘Clem, how can you live there with all those winos?’ to ‘Things are looking better, and I love those flowers.’ ”

“More recently,” he added, “people have asked if there are any homes for sale.”




Jo Ann Harris, a federal prosecutor, in 1982. Credit Jim Wilson/The New York Times

The cause was lung cancer, her brother, Richard Murray, said. A resident of Manhattan, she had been in hospice care in the Bronx.

As an assistant in the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan, Mrs. Harris helped prosecute the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the leader of the Unification Church, on tax evasion charges, as well as Imelda Marcos, the widow of former President Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines, on corruption charges.

As the first woman to head the Justice Department’s criminal division, she supervised 400 lawyers, created a computer crime section and set up a task force to investigate violence against abortion clinics. She led the early part of the investigation into the bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City in 1995.

The House of Representatives impeached Mr. Clinton on Dec. 19, 1998, on the grounds that he had lied about and covered up his relationship with Ms. Lewinsky, a 22-year-old White House intern. The charges were perjury and obstruction of justice. In a trial that ended the following February, the Senate voted not to convict the president. But significant questions lingered about the government lawyers’ interview with Ms. Lewinsky at the outset of the investigation, in January 1998.

Mrs. Harris entered the fray after Kenneth W. Starr, the independent counsel who had directed the investigation that led to impeachment, resigned in 1999. In February 2000, his replacement, Robert W. Ray, appointed Mrs. Harris and a colleague, Mary Frances Harkenrider, to investigate the much-discussed episode as special counsels.

They produced a 100-page report on their findings.

The encounter with Ms. Lewinsky, they found, began around noon on Jan. 16, 1998, at a food court at the Pentagon City mall, where Ms. Lewinsky had expected to meet her friend Linda Tripp. She was seized by government lawyers and F.B.I agents and taken to a hotel room, where she was grilled for 12 1/2 hours.

Ms. Lewinsky had earlier signed a sworn affidavit denying that she had an affair with the president; the affidavit was in connection with a sexual harassment suit against Mr. Clinton by Paula Jones, a former state employee in Arkansas, where Mr. Clinton had been governor. But in the hotel room, the lawyers challenged Ms. Lewinsky’s story, telling her that they knew of the affair, citing telephone calls with her that Ms. Tripp had secretly taped and shared with prosecutors. They told Ms. Lewinsky that she could go to jail for up to 27 years for perjury if she continued to deny the affair.

Ms. Lewinsky repeatedly asked to speak to her lawyer, the special counsels’ report said, but was told that doing so would make her less valuable as a prosecution witness and therefore less likely to be treated leniently. The report described Ms. Lewinsky as “crying, sobbing, regaining her composure, screaming.”

But if she had been able to call her lawyer, the lawyer might have called the judge in Arkansas who held the affidavit and asked that it not be opened, according to Ken Gormley, the dean of Duquesne University’s law school, in an interview with NPR in 2010. He wrote a book on the impeachment, “The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr.”

Without the affidavit, the government would have had less influence on Ms. Lewinsky. With it, and with Ms. Tripp’s evidence, it had enough to elicit from Ms. Lewinsky an admission of an affair in grand jury testimony in July. She also turned over a semen-stained blue dress, providing DNA evidence of Mr. Clinton’s involvement in the affair.

The special counsels found no evidence of prosecutorial misconduct but said that the lead lawyer had “exercised poor judgment and made mistakes in his analysis, planning and execution of the approach to Lewinsky.”

In an interview with Politico in 2009 , Mrs. Harris was more caustic about the interrogation. “I wouldn’t have touched it with a 10-foot pole,” she was quoted as saying. Referring to Ms. Lewinsky, she added: “The minute she says, ‘Can I call my lawyer?’ you stop. And when she says it for the sixth or seventh time, you really stop. There are limits.”

She was born Jo Ann Murray in Macomb, Ill., on May 18, 1933, and grew up in Galesburg, Ill. She earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Iowa in 1955, then worked for Time and other magazines before deciding to study law at New York University, where she received a degree in 1972. She clerked for Lawrence W. Pierce, a federal judge in Manhattan.

In 1974 she became an assistant United States attorney in the Southern District of New York and rose to deputy chief of the criminal division. In 1979, she became chief of the fraud section in the criminal division of the Justice Department in Washington, where she oversaw early prosecutions under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

She returned to Manhattan in 1981 as executive assistant to United States Attorney John Martin. She had worked 10 years in the private sector when Mr. Clinton made her head of the Justice Department’s criminal division in 1993. She later taught at Pace University School of Law.

Her husband, Allen G. Harris, known as Greg — one of the first black television news correspondents in Vietnam — died in 2004. Besides her brother, she is survived by a stepson, a stepdaughter and four grandchildren.

In a statement after Mrs. Harris’s death, Ms. Lewinsky said she had recently tried to convey her gratitude to her.




Thomas W. Sneddon Jr. Credit Nick Ut/Associated Press

The cause was cancer, a family spokesman said.

Mr. Sneddon, who for 23 years was the top prosecutor in the celebrity enclave of Santa Barbara, conducted a joint investigation with the Los Angeles district attorney’s office into the first of two molestation charges against Mr. Jackson. The investigation stemmed from allegations made in 1993 by a 14-year-old boy who had frequently visited Mr. Jackson overnight at his Neverland Ranch in Santa Barbara County.

Mr. Jackson denied the boy’s accusation that he had inappropriately touched him.

Investigators conducted 400 interviews and executed a search warrant allowing them to take nude photographs of Mr. Jackson to match against drawings made by his accuser. But after 13 months, in September 1994, Mr. Sneddon and his Los Angeles counterpart, Gil Garcetti, dropped the case when the boy and his family announced that they would no longer cooperate.

In an out-of-court settlement of a civil suit filed by the family, the boy was to receive a payment of more than $10 million, according to Mr. Jackson’s associates.

Mr. Sneddon was the lead prosecutor in the second case, a 2005 jury trial in which Mr. Jackson was accused of using alcohol and pornography to seduce and molest a boy beginning when he was 10. Mr. Jackson denied those charges as well.

A 2003 documentary, “Living With Michael Jackson,” in which Mr. Jackson admitted to sharing his bed with boys, and in which an accuser was shown holding hands with him, helped lead to the second investigation.

When the jury acquitted Mr. Jackson of all charges after a 14-week trial, Mr. Sneddon was asked whether prosecuting him had become a vendetta.

“My past history with Mr. Jackson absolutely, unequivocally has nothing to do with this case,” he said. “I thought we had a good case this time.”

Thomas William Sneddon Jr. was born in Los Angeles on May 26, 1941, and grew up nearby in Lynwood, where his father and relatives were bakers. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Notre Dame and a law degree in 1966 from the University of California, Los Angeles. He then served in the Army in Vietnam.

He joined the Santa Barbara district attorney’s office in the 1970s, earning the nickname Mad Dog there for his tenacity. In 1976, he tried a Santa Barbara businessman three times before winning a murder conviction in the killing of his wife. (The first two trials ended in hung juries.) He became the district attorney in 1983 and served until 2006.

Mr. Sneddon, who lived in Santa Barbara and died in a hospital there, is survived by his wife of 47 years, Pamela, as well as nine children and 14 grandchildren.

The Jackson song considered an attack on Mr. Sneddon is “D.S.,” from the 1995 album “HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1,” which sold more than three million copies. With themes of injustice and abuse of power by law enforcement, it describes a figure, usually rendered in transcribed lyrics as “Dom Sheldon,” as a “cold man” who “tried to take me down.”

The National District Attorneys Association, of which Mr. Sneddon was then vice president, issued a congratulatory announcement in its newsletter about the true identity of the song’s Dom Sheldon.

Mr. Sneddon would rather not have been alluded to at all in Mr. Jackson’s song, the newsletter said. It quoted him saying, “I have not, shall we say, done him the honor of listening to it.”



Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s