IN REMEMBRANCE: 12-26-2010

Published: December 19, 2010

René Le Berre, a French entomologist who helped inspire an international
campaign that saved millions of West Africans from the parasitic disease

river blindness, died Dec. 6 in L’Aiguillon-sur-Mer on
France’s western coast. He was 78.

December 20,
International Bank for
Reconstruction and Development, via World Bank
René Le Berre’s efforts helped save millions of West Africans.
The cause was cardiovascular disease complicated by diabetes, said a former
colleague, Dr. Joel
G. Breman
of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.
Onchocerciasis, the formal name for river blindness,
had once been a scourge in the fertile river basins of tropical Africa.
Transmitted when black flies living in rapidly running rivers bite a victim
repeatedly, releasing parasitic worms into the body, the disease brings
excruciating itching, creates nodules under the skin and often results in
blindness. Victims can remain infected for 15 years.
The path toward conquering river blindness in Africa began in 1972 at a small
medical clinic in Upper Volta, now Burkina Faso.
Dr. Le Berre (pronounced le-BEAR), who had long been working in West Africa
on insecticide programs to kill black flies, met for three hours at that clinic
with Robert S. McNamara, former secretary of defense in the
Kennedy and Johnson administrations, who was visiting Africa as president of the
World Bank.
Dr. Le Berre, who had contracted a mild form of river blindness in Africa,
spoke halting English, but the photographs he showed to Mr. McNamara told a
gruesome tale. They depicted African youngsters guiding lines of men who had
been blinded, and portrayed river-blindness sufferers with disfiguring nodules.
In September 1973, the World Bank announced plans for a 20-year, $120 million
program to fight river blindness in Africa. It joined with the World Health Organization and other international
agencies to form the Onchocerciasis Control Program.
“To convince someone like Mr. McNamara wasn’t easy when you’re a Frenchman in
the middle of nowhere,” Dr. Le Berre once recalled in a publication of the River
Blindness Foundation, whose operations were assumed by the Carter
in 1996. “But it was a golden opportunity.”
Dr. Le Berre, who had mapped thousands of breeding sites for black flies
during the 1960s, directed aerial attacks on them for the international control
program, deploying small planes and helicopters to spray insecticides.
“It is not a war where you say you will win, it is a kind of guerrilla war,”
he told The Associated Press in 1977, reflecting on the long road to controlling
river blindness.
The focus on combating the disease changed in the 1980s when Merck &
Company in the United States began donating millions of doses of the drug
to Africans in river blindness regions. Ivermectin weakens
the parasitic worms released by the black flies, enabling the body’s natural
defenses to destroy them.
According to the World Health Organization, the control program, which ended
in 2002, protected millions of people in 11 African countries from the effects
of river blindness and enabled cultivation and resettlement in river basins
after villagers terrified of river blindness had fled to less productive
René Le Berre was born in Quimper, France, on March 3, 1932. He graduated
from the University of Rennes, was trained in medical entomology at the Institut
Pasteur in Paris and received a science doctorate from the University of Orsay.
After working in Africa, he continued his disease eradication efforts for the
World Health Organization at its Geneva headquarters.
Dr. Le Berre had been living in retirement at L’Aiguillon-sur-Mer. He is
survived by his wife, Eliane, and a son, François, of Bangkok.
Published: December 19, 2010

J. Michael Hagopian, a survivor of the


Armenian genocide who came to the United States from
Turkey after World War I, studied filmmaking and made a series of documentaries
based on interviews with hundreds of other survivors, died on Dec. 10 at his
home in Thousand Oaks, Calif. He was 97.
December 20,
J. Michael Hagopian
His daughter, Joanne, confirmed the death.
Historians say that as many as 1.5 million Armenians died in orchestrated
killings between 1915 and 1918, amid the chaos of World War I and the
disintegration of the Ottoman Empire. Turkey, which has always denied that
there was a planned genocide, maintains that 300,000 Armenians and at least that
many Turks were killed in civil strife after Armenians, backed by Russia, rose
up against the Ottomans. To this day, uttering the words “Armenian genocide” can
be grounds for prosecution in Turkey.
Mr. Hagopian made 12 documentaries about the genocide. In 1976, “The
Forgotten Genocide,” his sweeping account of the killings, received Emmy
nominations for best documentary writing and production. Since 2000, Mr.
Hagopian’s Armenian Film
, which he started in 1979, has produced three films about
the genocide.
“The River Ran Red” recounts how three waves of
Armenians were forced into the Syrian desert, where most of them died of
starvation. “Germany and the Secret Genocide” posits that German officials
provided cover for the Turks by telling the world that the Armenians had to be
deported for their own safety.
Mr. Hagopian appeared in “Voices From the Lake,” the first film in the
trilogy, about the destruction of his hometown. In the closing scene he says, “I
remember my mother saying, ‘You can kill a people, but their voices will never
die.’ ”
In that film, one survivor, Sam Kadorian, recalls: “The gendarmes came and
picked up all the boys between 5 and 10 years old and threw them in a pile.
After they had all the boys in this pile they started with swords and bayonets
killing us boys, and one of the bayonets just hit me in the right cheek.”
Last April, the University of Southern
California Shoah Foundation Institute
, founded by Steven Spielberg after he directed “Schindler’s List,”
signed an agreement with Mr. Hagopian under which his archive of testimonies of
Armenian genocide survivors and witnesses would be made available for
educational purposes.
Hagop (Jacob) Mikael Hagopian was born in the town of Kharpert on Oct. 20,
1913. One night in June 1915, after his parents heard that Turkish soldiers were
on the way, they hid him in a well behind their home. The soldiers did not come
that night. But when they did several days later, the family was spared because
his father was a physician who had treated local Turks. The Hagopians left
Turkey for the United States in 1922, eventually settling in Fresno, Calif.
Besides his daughter, Mr. Hagopian is survived by his wife, the former
Antoinette Hobden; three sons, Michael, David and William; and five
Mr. Hagopian received bachelor’s and master’s degrees in political science
from the University of California, Berkeley, and a doctorate in
international relations from Harvard. He taught at several universities,
including U.C.L.A. and Oregon State.
Realizing that he could reach more people by producing documentaries, he
started Atlantis Productions in 1952 and began roaming the world, making films
about the cultures of the Middle East, Nigeria, India and American Indians.
In April, after reaching the agreement with the Shoah Foundation Institute,
Mr. Hagopian said: “Victimization and genocide perpetrated and denied in one
part of the world can become the breeding ground for greater crimes against
humanity in another part of the world. It was my responsibility to educate and
inform so that history won’t be repeated.”
Published: December 20, 2010
Steve Landesberg, an actor and comedian with a friendly and often deadpan
manner who was best known for his role on the long-running sitcom “Barney
died in Los Angeles on Monday. He was 74.
December 22,
ABC, via Photofest
Steve Landesberg, right, with Hal Linden on “Barney Miller.”
December 22,
ABC, via Photofest
Steve Landesberg
The cause was colon cancer, his daughter, Elizabeth, said.
On “Barney Miller,” which ran on ABC from 1975 to 1982, Mr. Landesberg played
Sgt. Arthur P. Dietrich, an intellectual detective with a quiet manner who
seemed to have an unrivaled knowledge of practically any topic that arose, much
to the bewilderment of his fellow detectives.
He was also given to odd, unexpected pronouncements. In one 1980 episode he
tells his boss, Captain Miller, played by Hal Linden, that he is working on a
case that dates to 1973. Miller says: “That was seven years ago! Nixon was
president!” Dietrich’s low-key response: “No, he’s got an airtight alibi for
this one.”
Mr. Landesberg received three Emmy Award nominations for that role.
Set in a New York City police station, where most of the action takes place,
“Barney Miller” portrayed a group of wisecracking detectives and the oddball
characters who ended up there. Some police officers said the show represented
the real life of rank-and-file officers better than many television detective
After “Barney Miller” left the air, Mr. Landesberg appeared on “The Golden
Girls,” “Law & Order,” “That ’70s Show” and “Everybody Hates Chris,” among
other shows. He had a recurring role on the short-lived 1998 sitcom “Conrad
Bloom.” Most recently he played Dr. Myron
, a Freudian therapist, in “Head Case,” a comedy on the
Starz cable channel.
In 2008 he played a pediatrician whose patient (played by Jason Segel, the film’s writer and star) is in his 20s
in the hit movie “Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” His other movies include “Wild
Hogs” and “Leader of the Band.” His distinctively dry, deep voice was also heard
in cartoons and commercials.
Stephen Landesberg was born on Nov. 23, 1936, in the Bronx. He began his
career as a stand-up comic in the late 1960s and became known for his off-center
observations and eccentric delivery. He performed in New York comedy clubs
alongside comedians like Freddie Prinze and Jimmie Walker.
Mr. Landesberg appeared on “The Tonight Show” for the first time in 1971 and
several times on “The Dean Martin Show” before landing his first recurring
role, as a Viennese violinist, on the sitcom “Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers,”
in 1974.
Besides his daughter, he is survived by his wife, Nancy Ross Landesberg.
Initial reports of Mr. Landesberg’s death, relying on numerous biographical
sources, said he was 65. In acknowledging that he was actually nine years older,
his daughter said he had provided varying birth dates over the years. “He got
kind of a late start in show business,” she explained, “so he tried to straddle
the generations. He fooled the whole world. People were surprised to think he
was even 65.”
This article has been revised to reflect the following

Correction: December 21, 2010
An earlier version of this article misstated Mr. Landesberg’s age and the
year of his birth. He was 74, not 65, and he was born in 1936, not

Published: December 24, 2010

Just three months after losing her son Peter on Sept. 11, 2001, aboard

United Airlines Flight 175 — the second plane to crash
into the World Trade Center — Sally Goodrich received a diagnosis of ovarian
December 25,
Musadeq Sadeq/Associated
Sally Goodrich in 2005 during her first trip to Afghanistan.
For three years, through chemotherapy, grief for her son and thoughts of
suicide, Ms. Goodrich fought depression and continued to work as a remedial
reading teacher and program coordinator for at-risk children in the North Adams,
Vt., school system.
Then, in August 2004, an e-mail from a friend of Peter’s arrived from Afghanistan. Maj. Rush Filson, a Marine, asked if Ms.
Goodrich and her husband, Donald, could collect school supplies for children in
a village southeast of Kabul.
“That was the beginning,” Ms. Goodrich later told The Boston Globe. “I call it the moment of grace. I
knew Peter would have responded to that e-mail; I knew I had to in his name.
For the first time, I felt Peter’s spirit back in my life.”
That spirit evolved into the Peter M. Goodrich Memorial Foundation, which has since
built one school and helped support two other schools and an orphanage in
Ms. Goodrich died of ovarian cancer on Dec. 18 at her home in Bennington,
Vt., her husband said. She was 65.
“The idea that we could go to Afghanistan — where the Afghan people were
taken advantage of by Al Qaeda, manipulated, and where the planning for our
son’s death took place — and provide an alternative way of looking at the world
was very appealing to us,” Donald Goodrich told The Associated Press.
With donations from friends, neighbors, schoolchildren, local clubs, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, the Goodrich Foundation has so far raised
more than $1 million, Mr. Goodrich said.
It has built a school for 500 girls in Logar Province and supported two
smaller schools and an orphanage in Wardak Province. It has also helped exchange
students from Afghanistan attend schools in New England, and some have gone on
to receive scholarships to colleges like Williams, Mount Holyoke and Bates.
Donations came from all sorts of people, Ms. Goodrich told ABC News in 2005.
“We have Jews and Muslims and Christians,” she said. “We have ardent
Republicans and we have Democrats and Red Sox and, I hate to use that word,
Yankees. I’m a Red Sox fan.”
Peter Goodrich was 33 when he died. “As time went on,” Ms. Goodrich said, “I
realized that I had, in fact, this opportunity to use my life to continue his.”
Sarah Wales Donavan, known as Sally, was born in Newton, Mass., on May 12,
She graduated from the University of Vermont in 1967 with a degree in
sociology, and later earned a master’s degree in education from Boston University and another master’s as a reading
specialist from Simmons College.
Besides her husband, Ms. Goodrich is survived by her son, Foster; her
daughter, Kim Trimarchi; three brothers, Peter, Mark and Jed Donavan; and five
In April 2005, to survey construction of the school in Logar Province, Ms.
Goodrich made the first of several trips to Afghanistan. She was greeted,
she said, as the “kind foreign lady.”
“I have regained my sense of trust and hope, and I have seen the best of
human nature,” she said. “I’ve been the most unfortunate of women, but I am now
the most fortunate of women.”
Published: December 24, 2010

Clay Cole, whose dance program

“The Clay Cole
had a loyal following among adolescent television viewers in the
New York area in the 1960s and gave many groups, including the Rolling Stones, early exposure on American television,
died on Saturday at his home on Oak Island, N.C. He was 72.
December 24,
Columbia Pictures, via
Clay Cole in “Twist Around the Clock,” whose star, Chubby
Checker, had unveiled his “Twist” version on Mr. Cole’s show.
The cause was a heart attack, his brother Richard Rucker said.
From 1959 through 1967, Mr. Cole offered teenagers a concentrated dose of
their own culture on his show, which was initially broadcast on Saturday nights
on WNTA (Channel 13). After WNTA’s license was sold to the Educational
Broadcasting Corporation in 1963, the show moved to WPIX (Channel 11), where it
was renamed “Clay Cole’s Diskotek” in October 1965.
Like Dick Clark’s “American Bandstand,” which reached a
national audience, “The Clay Cole Show,” taped before a studio audience,
featured a regular cast of young dancers who moved to the latest Top 10 records
and thrilled to the sight of pop stars lip-synching their hits.
The acts were top drawer. Mr. Cole’s show was one of the first to present
Dion, the Four Seasons, Dionne Warwick, Richie Havens, Simon & Garfunkel, the Doors, Neil Diamond and the Young Rascals, as well as comics
like George Carlin and Richard Pryor. When the British invasion gathered
force, visiting groups like the Who appeared on his show as a matter of course,
often before they took the stage on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”
In June 1964, on their first American tour, the Rolling Stones performed on a
special edition of the show billed as “The Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones,” since it also
featured concert footage of the Beatles fed in from WPIX’s sister station in
Chicago, WGN.
The Stones returned in May 1965, unaware that Mr. Cole, as he later told The
Daily News in New York, had been “appalled at their grubby long hair and grimy
appearance.” In his 2003 memoir “2Stoned,” Andrew Loog Oldham, the group’s
manager, returned the favor. “Clay Cole looked like an electro-shock Anthony Perkins on steroids,” he wrote.
Like Mr. Clark, Mr. Cole chatted with his guest stars. Unlike Mr. Clark, he
got on the floor and danced. Sometimes he performed with his guests or did
comedy skits with Chuck McCann, his announcer and sidekick. In the summer, he
took the show to Palisades Amusement Park in New Jersey, broadcasting six nights
a week. He also made a point of putting black couples on the dance floor, a
policy that kept him in hot water with the station’s executives.
“He was so vivacious,” said Marcia Habib, a dancer on the show and the
president for the last 50 years of the Claymates, Mr. Cole’s fan club. “He was
as excited as the people on the show. He was one of us.”
Albert Franklin Rucker Jr. was born on Jan. 1, 1938, in Youngstown, Ohio, and
grew up in nearby Hubbard. He acted as a child and at 13 was a regular on a
local children’s television show, “The Enchanted Forest.” When his voice
changed, he wangled his way into a job as the host of a teenage dance show,
“Rucker’s Rumpus Room.”
In 1957 he moved to New York and found work as a page at NBC and a production assistant on the quiz show “21.”
After appearing on “Al Rucker and the Seven Teens,” a dance show on WJAR in
Providence, R.I., he was hired by WNTA, where he presided over a succession of
music shows: “Rate the Records,” “Talent Teens,” “Teen Quiz” and “The Record
Wagon.” Worried about the sound of the name Rucker, the station suggested that
he find a new name. A cousin of his father, Clay Cole, obligingly lent his.
When the popularity of “The Record Wagon” moved the station to create a new
one-hour program, “The Clay Cole Show” was born and Mr. Cole found his niche in
teenage heaven.
In 1961 he appeared as himself in the film “Twist Around the Clock,” whose
star, Chubby Checker, had introduced his version of “The Twist” on Mr. Cole’s
show at Palisades Amusement Park.
When WNTA’s license was sold, Mr. Cole was out of a job, but WPIX, keen to
broadcast a teenage dance show, scooped him up. In late 1967, Mr. Cole resigned,
frustrated by constant clashes with the station’s owners and less than thrilled
by the psychedelic music coming to the fore. His final show, broadcast in
December, included performances by Paul Anka, Jay and the Americans, the Tokens
and Bobby Vee.
Mr. Cole later wrote and produced for television and, in 1979, was a host of
“A.M. New York.”
In addition to his brother, of Oak Island, he is survived by another brother,
James Rucker of Murrells Inlet, S.C., and a sister, Tama Rucker of
Published: December 23, 2010

A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty
Hi-Yo, Silver!

December 23,

Radio Museum
Fred Foy in the late 1970s.
Three times a week on the radio, those words, juxtaposed with the galloping
strains of

 Rossini’s “William Tell” overture, captivated generations of midcentury

For a decade, first on the radio and later on television, Fred Foy
was the man who intoned those gallant lines
, among the most evocative
in American broadcasting.
Mr. Foy died on Wednesday, at 89, at his home in Woburn, Mass. The death, of
natural causes, was confirmed by his daughter Nancy Foy.
Mr. Foy was not the first “Lone Ranger” announcer and narrator — the show had
begun in 1933, when he was scarcely more than a boy — but he was the last, and
almost certainly the best known. From the late 1940s, when he joined the radio
show, until the late 1950s, when the TV show went off the air, his was the
resonant voice that heralded thrills, adventure and the swift administration of
frontier justice by that masked man.
“We had no idea we were creating something that would become an American
icon,” Mr. Foy told The Daily News of New York in 2003. “We knew it was good,
but it was a job. You came in at 3, you checked the script, you did the
rehearsal, you made sure the production elements were in place, you went on the
On the radio, Mr. Foy was also the announcer for “The Green Hornet” and
“Sergeant Preston of the Yukon.” On television, he became a staff announcer for
ABC in New York, where his duties included “The Dick Cavett Show.”
A frequent speaker at old-time radio conventions, Mr. Foy was inducted into
the Radio Hall of Fame in 2000.
Frederick William Foy was born in Detroit on March 27, 1921. (He was no
relation to the vaudevillian Eddie Foy Sr. or his Seven Little Foys.) Soon after
graduating from high school, he took a job with WMBC, a local 250-watt radio
station. In 1942 he joined WXYZ in Detroit, the station on which “The Lone
Ranger” originated.
Serving in the Army in World War II, Mr. Foy was an announcer for Armed
Forces Radio in Cairo. After the war he returned to WXYZ. There, beginning in
1948, he narrated “The Lone Ranger” live in the studio.
Mr. Foy remained with the show until it went off the radio in the mid-1950s;
he announced the television version from its inception in 1949 to its demise in
1957. (During the years in which the radio and TV shows overlapped, Mr. Foy was
heard on both.)
He played the part of the Lone Ranger exactly once, when Brace Beemer, who
acted the role on radio, came down with laryngitis.
“I guess I did all right,” Mr. Foy told The Daily News in 2003, “because we
didn’t get any complaints.”
Besides his daughter, Mr. Foy’s survivors include his wife, the former
Frances Bingham, whom he married in 1947; another daughter, Wendy Foy Griffis; a
son, Fritz; and three grandchildren.
Though “The Lone Ranger” enjoyed a prolonged afterlife in television reruns,
Mr. Foy received no extra compensation, because his work was done in the era
before mandatory residuals.
He did not seem to mind, Nancy Foy said on Wednesday. So proud was Mr. Foy of
his association with the show that to the end of his life he recited its
introduction for anyone who asked.



Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s