This is my first bunch-o-links roundup post, so here are some topics that I think are sure to give thoughtful discussions:
1. I want to commend Gina McCauley of the blog, What About Our Daughters (http://whataboutourdaughters.blogspot.com/2007/08/updated-list-of-immorally-indifferent.html) ) for her strength and fortitude in championing the cause of black women who are under assault in this country. Gina has a list of the black organizations which need to be alerted about the horrific gang rape of a black mother and her son that happened in Dunbar Village in Florida.
2. The Content Black Woman (http://whyblackwomenareangry.blogspot.com/2007/08/souls-of-black-folks-dunbar-village.html) another blogger who speaks up for all black women, also has a contact for us to write to on this incident as well. She also has written a wonderful essay on the Dunbar Village gang rape attack.
3. Rachel of Rachel’s Tavern has an excellent write-up (http://rachelstavern.com/?p=658) about the “whiny white people” who complain about the racism that black people suffer, or preferably, do not suffer from, in America.
4. Stephanie of Stephanie’s Journal has a write-up (http://httpjournalsaolcomjenjer6steph.blogspot.com/2007/08/check-out-my-latest-artwork.html) ) on some of her lovely and beautiful artwork she has dedicated to the many black women who have been hurt and destroyed by a callous, sexist and racist society in America.
5. Angry Indian, a frequent guest commentator on Stephanie’s Journal, alerts readers on the disenfranchisement of black citizens of their votes in the 2004 Ohio Presidential elections. Here is the link: http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/073107C.shtml
6. I came across this blog (http://assaultonblacksanity.blogspot.com/2007/06/reality-check_29.html) while googling info on an upcoming post I am writing. The owner of this blog obviously has bought into the lie/myth of the “Black Matriarchy” of the Moynihan Report written 40 years ago. I left a comment challenging him on why he would believe such a lie, as there is no evidence of any matriarchy, matrifocal or matrilineal society among black American women.
7 Also, from that same site, a link was provided to this site,”Blacktown” (http://www.blacktown.net/chuckie_blonde.htm) which made very hateful comments on black women not leading any social or historical movements in the United States. (I tried to leave an e-mail comment addressing this site’s ignorance and hatred at not learning of the many accomplishments that black women have made and impacted on race, sex, labor and so many aspects of American life, but, I kept getting a non-response from the website.) So much benighted, incredibly frightening ignorance out there to fight against in the world. Sigh, the battle never ends.
So, that’s it for my first bunch-o-links roundup.
3 responses to “BUNCH-O-LINKS, AUGUST 13, 2007”
Thanks for recognizing the site. Along with you and other Black women bloggers, I am convinced – with regards to the image of Black women and our communities – we can make a difference.
that Chuckie site is freakishly hateful
Thank you so much for the shout out for my artworks. I did this because Black women always get a short end of the stick in a racist/sexist America. I’ll have more posted soon.